Your metabolism controls your health, weight loss and body shaping ‘switch’. It is the foundation upon which the effects of diet and exercise are built. It opens the doors to getting way more results from any dieting or exercise you do. Nothing can compensate for a bad metabolism. Metabolism faults like sluggish thyroid (35% of adults), constipation (40% adults), high blood sugar (50% of adults) and toxic liver, can limit or stop your weight loss and body shaping no matter how much dieting or exercise you do! On the other hand, too much dieting and exercise will slow your metabolism and limit results too.
Below I’ve put together 10 simple yet effective tips to help boost your metabolism for a healthier, fitter and more toned body.
- Toning – the ultimate metabolism improver is to get toning your body. You simply cannot beat the benefits you will get by toning the major muscles of your body using dumbbells or some other form of resistance exercise. Everyone of all ages should get toning today!
- Nutrition – basic nutritional deficiencies are at the root cause of many metabolism problems. We are lacking in critical minerals like calcium, magnesium, chromium and zinc and in omega 3 and 6 essential fats. Your body just cannot function right without these basic building blocks so add a good multi-MINERAL supplement and an essential fat supplement to your daily routine.
- Fibre – is great for helping to improve your metabolism. It improves digestion which is the starting point of all metabolism function and it helps eliminate hormone imbalances. Make a conscious effort to add more fruit but especially more vegetables and pulses (beans, peas or lentils) to your diet today.
- A Brisk Mile – everyone thinks that you have to exercise for long periods to get any benefit and this thought puts many people off exercising. The truth is that most of the benefits of exercise occur in the first 10 minutes! So simply walking just 1 mile 3 times a week can transform your metabolism. Start slow and build up your speed once you know it is safe to do so.
- Water – all metabolism function is based on having enough water in your cells. Nothing else matters if this is wrong. Remember you should drink 1L for every 100 lbs you weigh and try to drink most of it between your meals!
- Meals – eating small and often is definitely the best way to a strong metabolism. Ladies should never eat or drink a total of more than 400 calories at any one meal or snack and guys never more than 500 calories. Anything above this level over burdens your metabolism and will also lead to weight gain.
- Alcohol – the bad news is that alcohol (including wine) is one of the biggest metabolism disrupters of all. It de-hydrates the body, unbalances hormones and depletes vital minerals and vitamins. Make a conscious effort to slow down your drinking and drink plenty of water before and after.
- Medicines – all prescription medicine can have serious side effects on your metabolism. Make sure to have your medicines reviewed by your doctor regularly and reduce down or eliminate if possible. Discuss alternative treatment options.
- Stress – creates absolute havoc with your metabolism. Take 5 to 15 minutes a day for yourself to forget about your problems and instead focus on removing your mental state from the worries, take a walk, breath, have a relaxing bath, find your stress reliever otherwise the stress will eventfully catch up with you. You may not feel that you are under severe stress but your body certainly does with stress hormones racing around destroying your system. Get in the habit of stopping just for a short moment daily and regain control of your life.
- Change –this final point is a mentality tip and is the most important of the ten. To boost your Metabolism from its current state you must implement change. Either gradual change (which is more likely to last) or across the board change. You can start right now by picking one of the previous nine tips and implementing it today!
As always I hope you get something useful from this article and please share it with others. Someone making one simple change can lead to big improvements.
You can find more articles here
David McDonagh (Nutritionist, fitness trainer & creator of System 10 Weight Loss)
My system is about real weight loss done the right way! My plan takes into account all the above reasons and more and makes sure weight loss will work for you. Don’t miss my NEW online plan starting soon where you can lose 10+ lbs in 4 weeks or 20+ Ibs in 8 weeks and get an amazing change in shape because it is real weight loss. Click here for more details on these options. Alternatively arrange a one to one consultation in your nearest clinic by clicking here.
You can find more articles here on health, fitness and weight loss.